Subject: RE: Attending the XACML TC F2F in Ottawa, Canada

Hi,

We have been working on a project involving device settings for wireless terminals in an enterprise setting, wherein the terminal settings are authored by the corporate owner and handed over to a Device Management (DM) server to actually carry out the device settings for the terminals being used by the company employees.

In this regard, our thinking was about using XACML for configuring the device policies. Each terminal might have different settings, controlled by corporate owner. While terminal settings are configured in SyncML, the policies regarding individual terminal settings written in XML.

Some of the issues re. the use of XACML for policy setting are:
1. What are the security implications of using XACML for terminal configuration?
2. Could the PEP return "Obligations" to the device to enforce device settings?
3. Is XACML v3.0 a better fit for management policy decisions?

Thanks,
-Srinivas