Subject: Re: [xacml-users] RE: latest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (with anexample)

Muhammad Masoom Alam wrote:
> Specification says: (line no 142 to 144)
>
> "Permission <PolicySet> or PPS: a <PolicySet> that contains the actual
> permissions associated
> with a given role. It contains <Policy> elements and <Rules> that
> describe the resources and
> actions that subjects are permitted to access, along with any further
> conditions on that access, such
> as time of day. A given Permission <PolicySet> may also contain
> references to Permission"
>
> what does then the above sentences means at all ?
>
> if we can specify a condition on date/time then we can specify some
> other condition as well.

And that other condition must be satisfied by the requester in order for
the Permission to be granted.  If the requester does not satisfy the
condition (because it is a database Attribute that only a direct holder
of the "Employee" role can obtain a value for), then the requester will
not and should not get that permission.  If you want the requester to
get that Permission via some other route other than by inheritance of
the "Employee" role permissions AND the associated condition, then you
will need to state this Permission in the senior role's Permission
PolicySet.

> if you say, that it is not the best place to specify it, plz guide me
> where i shall put constraints.

If you want to give a permission to perform action X on resource Y to
Role Junior only if f(Role Junior attributes) is "true", AND you want to
give permission to perform action X on resource Y without those
constraints to Role Senior, which happens to inherit permissions from
Role Junior, then you need to include a rule in the Role Senior
Permission PolicySet that gives permission to perform action X on
resource Y (without any such constraints).

> Dont you think so , specificaiton are inconsistent ?????????

This is not inconsistent with the specification, and the specification
(and the ANSI RBAC model) remain useful for managing role permissions where
permissions and their associated constraints are inherited.  If you
don't agree
then I think your problem is that your use case is not compatible with
RBAC, not that RBAC is useless.

Regards,
Anne