Subject: Re: [xacml-users] Help on Condition ? <-- Obligations

I think that I agree with Bill.

On 12/12/2008, at 9:47 AM, Oleg Gryb wrote:

> consider adding expressions to obligations as I and other
> people had suggested in the past. It would make the
> obligations more dynamic. Example: I want to return an error
> message: "The access to the bill pay service has been
> denied because you exceeded the total maximum of $10000 in
> 6-month period" where $10000 and 6-month are
> environment attributes.

Also, please note that Oracle, for example, states that Obligation is
only triggered if the Decision was Permit. How is it in XACML 3.0?

It is not triggered if the Decision was Denied, as your Use Case. It
can express Obligations that may results in a further Permit or Deny,
depending on whether and what Obligation(s) was/were meet or not. (You
can have a few Obligation clauses).

Also, I think that the use of user account balance (or using user Role
in Oracle Use Case) AFTER the Permit Decision is made by the Policies
as Obligation is not appropriate.

They are not related ONLY with this particular Policy Permit Decision,
as a very specific Post-Condition to be met. They are the conditions
already exist BEFORE the policy decision Permit was made. So, if you
have not used those conditions for making Policy Decisions, what the
Policies are about is not clear. The Obligation is an additional
Action (that Paul Tyson was referring?), which occurs only AFTER the
Policy Decision and it is required ONLY for that particular instance.
Can you see that the attribute "Do you agree to this license
agreement" did not exist before in any attributes before?

In my opinion, the account balance or Role is an application logic and
it has to be determined with your application or the Policy Decision
BEFORE Obligation.

On 12/12/2008, at 12:03 PM, Oleg Gryb wrote:
> The difference between "action" and "information/advice" elements
> still look vague to me. Adding Obligations to a Rule is something
> that I would like to see too. I had to wrap each rule to a policy in
> the past because rule-level obligations were not available.

As I said, of course, it is totally legitimate to make Obligation to
make it present the cause-for-deny (as I said, Oracle XACML PEP never
does this because the Decision was Deny), but what PEP does is to ask
the user whether user WILL oblige a condition.

What the condition can be? That must be enforceable with PEP.

One example may be: "Your Action was denied because of .... Do you
oblige to increase the limit?" I imagine that it is impossible to
reduce the spending (?) less than $10000 in 6-month period, that has
already incurred. As Bill (?) was saying that this brings in the
application logic to be performed inside the XACML (changing the value
of Attributes within), and I think that it is not an appropriate place.

Simply the Obligation asking to "oblige" to have read the failure
message is not that meaningful in this case as the Action. Regardless
whether the user agreed that he has read it or not, it has been
already presented and the Decision does not change by whether the user
has agreed or not. Also, if you mean that PEP MUST oblige to present
it, it is not the Obligation of the user. I don't think that there is
a mechanism for that (as it must still ask the user to agree that he
has read it).

As Bill was saying, "message" seems to be more appropriate place.

Yoichi

Yoichi Takayama, PhD
Senior Research Fellow
RAMP Project
MELCOE (Macquarie E-Learning Centre of Excellence)
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY

Phone: +61 (0)2 9850 9073
Fax: +61 (0)2 9850 6527
www.mq.edu.au
www.melcoe.mq.edu.au/projects/RAMP/
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY: CRICOS Provider No 00002J

confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily
the views of Macquarie E-Learning Centre Of Excellence (MELCOE) or
Macquarie University.