Subject: Re: [xacml-users] Help on Condition ? <-- Obligations

On Dec 12, 2008, at 4:04 PM, Yoichi Takayama wrote:

> Bill, do you have Use Case to determine what Condition(s) were
> responsible and construct your "message" for reason why the Decision
> was made??? Or, is it much a simpler matter and I am overestimating
> the problem?

I think Use Cases that were presented at the last TC meeting are a
good example of this:

/*   XACML TC Minutes, 4 December

  Mike Beach from Boeing reviewed his authz Use Cases
   http://projectconcordia.org/images/d/d6/BoeingFineGrainedAuthorization.pdf
   (starting at slide 8)
   The basis of the talk is the ability of XACML to deal with export
   licensing using Obligations or is additional machinery needed?

*/

The current mechanism to solve this issue is to "wrap" the individual
Rules in Policies to create more granular Obligation control. This
initiated the discussion on whether Obligations should be extended to
the Rule level. I have suggested that this is not a good solution to
this problem since it overloads what Obligations should do (IMO). I do
however, understand the need for informational decision information to
be returned so I proposed that we create a mechanism specifically for
response messaging at the Rule level. I think this can be added safely
since it is not possible to have combining conflicts on non-actionable
strings. (I cannot say the same for Obligations, which are not
combinable as currently defined)

thanks