Subject: RE: Groups vs. Roles

There are some issues with describing a group as an attribute of a user if
one is speaking about physical implementation. To support some operations it
is useful to think of a group as an entity unto itself. Group membership
does not seem to be the same type of thing as say "hair color", which is
indeed an attribute of an individual.

I think the distinction you make about policy assignment is useful.

On a slightly different tack, here is a comment extracted from some Ponder
docs:

"A role is thus a special case of a group, in which all the policies have
the same subject."

This would imply that although roles are useful, one never has to reference
a role from a policy. One can simply reference the group which has a one to
one mapping with the named role. This is not inconsistent with my first
statement:

"For all roles R, there exists a group G such that all members M of G have
role R."