Subject: Policies with No Subject

At the F2F I asserted that a policy could contain zero or more subjects. The
use of a policy with zero subjects was questioned. My answer was that if the
policy did not consider any information about a subject, there was no need
for a subject in the policy. For example, if the policy says the resource
can be accessed between 24:00 and 6:00, there is no need to specify a
subject.

At the meeting several people agreed that in a case like this, there would
still be a subject. There would be some kind of indicator that it applied to
all subjects, such as "*" or "ALL". I conceded this possibility at the time
and the discussion turned to other topics.

I now believe that this is illogical. I assume that policies can take as
inputs items such as the date and time, network location, method of
authentication and so on. Therefore, if a policy that does not consider
subject information must contain "all subjects" then logically a policy that
does not consider time must contain "all times", a policy that does not
consider location must contain "all locations" and so on.

This would obviously cause every policy to become encrusted with useless
junk. I think it is clearly much simpler to put into each policy just the
items that need to be evaluated and leave out the others. The point is that
I consider subject to be just one type of input that may or may not be used
for policy decisions.

Hal