Subject: Re: [xacml] [Model] Composition Use Case

anne's [test] case, and those that have preceded it have raised those
points that i think are relevant to the example that i through out on
the list some time ago. so instead of adding another log to the fire i
have just jotted down a couple of comments.

/*
1. Ability to describe Matching Rules for attributes (for
    example, does "A@EnergyInfoAdmin.doe.gov" match "*.doe.gov").
*/

this is really the key requirement in my example: pattern matching. the
only difference here from what i tossed out was that my 'case' used this
against payload (content) as well has requester information. since i
believe that payload is just another field i think that the generalized
requirement for pattern matching meets the requirement. as pointed out
earlier by a couple of people, i believe that regular expressions should
be used as the basis for patterning.

/*
2. Ability to apply multiple policies, possibly from different
    sources, to a single resource.
*/

i think thst this has been designated or assumed in just about all of
our discussions (at least by me :o)

/*
3. Ability to use arbitrary attributes, such as clearance level,
    in policy statements.  These may be defined by the Policy
    Issuer.  There must be a way for the PDP to obtain the
    definition and matching rule semantics associated with the
    attribute.
*/

i believe that this requirement ultimately speaks to the point that [i
think] tim m. brought up and that is the need for discrete policy
namespace assignment. since my number one goal is interoperabilty, the
word 'arbitrary' scares me and i think that resolving this issue will
end up being *the* key aspect of our architecture.

/*

a. What if, instead of "FALSE", a sub-policy can return
   "DenyAccess", and this means that a result of "DenyAccess"
   must be returned from the top-level policy?

*/

this is a very interesting requirement and one that i don't think that
we have touched on directly (having missed the last two policy concalls,
i could be wrong): non boolean policy resolution. i look forward to
seeing this one on a whiteboard! :o)