Subject: [xacml] OASIS IPR Policy

Title: OASIS IPR Policy

I just looked and I was right.

Paragraph (C) of OASIS.IPR.3.2. makes the following points:

If OASIS knows about something they "shall attempt to obtain from the claimant of such rights a written assurance ..."

However, "results of this procedure shall not affect advancement of a specification..."

Except that "The results will, however, be recorded..." and "...may also direct that a summary of the results be included in any OASIS document published containing the specification."

It also says elsewhere that they will not go out of their way to find IPR that has not been drawn to their attention.

---------

I am not in favor of writing a spec that somebody has a legal lock on, but I just want to point out that OASIS's position is essentially "full disclosure" plus an attempt to cut a special purpose deal that applies specifically to the specification in question.

Hal