Subject: Re: [xacml] [model] New Issue: applicability

Anne wrote:

> Add an "applicability test" syntax to <policy>.
> In the example syntax below, I have stolen Simon's
> <grant> element name because there are some similarities.
> A <grant> element has the semantics that "if the <if>
> predicate is FALSE, then the <grant> returns NOT-
> APPLICABLE.  Otherwise, the <grant> returns the
> result of the <then> predicate...

I think that this is a good way to handle it.

One immediate application that I can see deals with the case of expressing a
variety of combinations of contextual or environmental attributes for which
there might be different, finer-grained (and possibly volatile) requirements. An
example is the problem of capturing access control policies for a resource that
might be view in a variety of contexts; the administrator would like to specify
different fine-grained attribute requirements appropriate for these different
contexts, but also wants to easily manage the group of requirements as a single
"policy" applied to the resource.