Subject: Re: [xacml] Boolean Policy resolution - a slight modification

it seems that we are actually trying to solve two problems with the
'<and>' issue:

1. determining applicability of [sub]policies
2. determining evaluation result of resulting policy

as i have stated in prior notes, i am not in favor of a policy resolving
to true where any of the predicates evaluate to anything other than true
and are combined with an '<and>' (true = true + n/a). on the other hand
i support the idea of policy inclusion logic using this mechanism as hal
has proposed below.

in thinking more about this it seems that these functions should be
handled separately (syntactically). what came to mind is the concept of
a 'join'. it seems to me that behavior we are looking for with respect
to aggregate policies ('use if it applies, ignore otherwise') is more in
line with a 'join' than 'and'.

<join>
      <applicablePolicyReference>
          xprp://policy.sample.com/$TargetValues
      </applicablePolicyReference>
</join>

this leaves the term '<and>' with the forcefulness that i believe is
appropriate.

does this make sense?