Subject: [xacml] Minutes of Feb 11 Policy model subcommittee concall

MINUTES OF THE POLICY MODEL SUBCOMMITTEE (MONDAY, FEB. 11 2002)

PRESENT
* Anne Anderson (Sun)
* Carlisle Adams (Entrust)
* Ernesto Damiani (Unimi)
* Simon Godik (Crosslogix)
* Polar Humenn
* Michiharu Kudoh (IBM)
* Fred Moses
* Pierangela Samarati (Unimi)

We discussed on the model proposal by Carlisle. The issues discussed
concerned:

- the format of policies (set of rules or boolean combinations of
  them?)

- the need for meta-policies (representing resolution conflicts or
  policy evaluation strategies depending on the types of policies or
  rules). Types could express the sign of rules (grant vs. deny) or
  other properties such as the authority that signed a policy.

- the need to support grant/deny. I believe at the F2F it was decided
  for permission (grant) only, but the supporting also deny we would
  be more expressive.

- need for policy merging and policy composition (Simon will provide a
  contribution for discussion).

As i was summarizing the discussion i saw the msg of Carlisle, who
actually captures in his msg the main points addressed, so instead of
repeating, i repeating his msg below ;-).

At the end of the concall it was concluded that no decision could be
taken on the model proposed since people wanted to think of it a bit
more. Hopefully, in the meanwhile the new version of the draft should
arrive clarifying several doubts that seemed to be due to the fact
that some terms are intended differently by different people. The
revised glossary and document should provide a common reference point.

As an addition: Michihary posted a contribution for post-condition,
which was not discussed in the concall for lack of time (it was also
noted that we first need to define well the basis of the model and
then add postconditions; addressing all the issues together could
bring confusions). Also, Simon will be posting some contributions on
the model proposal for discussion.

best
-p