Subject: Re: [xacml] Discussion summary and revised post-condition proposa l

The way I see it here, with Carlisle's answers, leaving out the
discussion on Indeterminate for now, there is no way for you to
interpret the "all-must-permit" without evaluating *ALL* it's constituents
because you have to compile each policy's obligations.

You're obligations are scoped to the policy evaluation of the policy they
appear in, and not the final result. which is illustrated by your line:

>  >       Permit        Deny                  Deny:  S, E

Because Policy A Permits, and Policy B Denies, you do not havve the
obligations of Q included for a deny on Policy A. You seem to be consitent
(and quite understandably so!) in this regard.

This scenario means that each policy MUST be evaluated to figure out
whether to include its obligations or not. This situation is also
illustrated by your following two lines:

>  >       Deny          Permit                Deny:  Q, E
>  >       Deny          Deny                  Deny:  Q, S, E

Where the Policy B Deny includes its E. One would think that if Policy A,
denies, in a combinator, "all-must-permit", one would not care to evaluate
Policy B at all, but must, to see if it should include the proper
obligations, in this case E.

Of course, we can write all kinds of combinators, thousands of them, for
different evaluation strategies.

all must permit, evaluate all for obligations
all permit until one denies, take its deny obligations.
etc.

I'll have more on the subject later, but first. LUNCH!

Cheers,
-Polar