Subject: [xacml] XACML February 21, 2002 Minutes

Title: XACML Conference Call Minutes

XACML Conference Call

Date:  Thursday, February 21, 2002

Time: 10:00 AM EST

Tel: 512-225-3050 Access Code: 65998

Minutes of Meeting

Summary

Carlisle recapped his conversation with ContentGuard regarding their IP. We then dove into the issues list and the items tagged for voting. We made it few just some of them before a time check at which point Face to Face logistics were discussed.

Action Items

  1. Simon to send presentation to Michiharu for website
  2. James MacLean to take a look at XrML submission to MPEG 21
  3. Ken to update issues list with results of votes
  4. Proposed agenda for Face to Face needs to be put together (Carlisle)
  5. Specific proposal needed to close PM 1-04 (Anne)
  6. PM 2-05 needs to be made consistent with glossary (Anne)

Votes

  1. Vote to accept the minutes of the  2/7 meeting tabled because they came out late

Raw Minutes (taken by Ken Yagen)

Proposed Agenda:

10:00-10:10 Roll Call and Agenda Review

10:10-10:15 Vote to accept minutes of February 7 meeting

10:15-10:20 Review of Action Items (see 2/7 minutes)

10:20-10:30 Report of Policy Model Sub-Committee

10:30-10:50 Discussion of Overall Status (esp. open/closed items on current issues list)

10:50-10:55  Schedule and Milestone Review

10:55-11:00 Discussion of logistics for next face-to-face meeting

1015: Roll Call

Voting Members

James MacLean, Affinitex

Simon Godik

Ken Yagen, Crosslogix

Hal Lockhart, Entegrity

Carlisle Adams, Entrust

Michiharu Kudoh, IBM

Bill Parducci

Suresh Damodaran, Sterling Commerce

Ernesto Damiani, University of Milan

Sekhar Vajjhala, Sun Microsystems

Prospective Members

Polar Humenn

Motion was made and seconded to approve minutes.

Because of recentness of publication, motion was tabled to be taken up at next meeting.

Worked through action list from previous meeting.

All items are complete except Simon needs to post his material from the F2F to the list so it can be put on the web page (item #3)

Regarding action item with ContentGuard:

ContentGuard feels since there is no spec, some of their IP does overlap, but can't pinpoint anything. Assured since members of OASIS, eager to do the right thing. Confirmed IP is not just any language, it is within specific context as specified in the claims. MPEG 21 has decided on using XrML 2.0 and that we should look at the specification. Small subset of IP that they have considered to offer for royalty free is probably not helpful to us. Someone should take a look at this and report back (James Volunteered)

Policy Model Committee Update

Pierangela not on the call, so update was minimal. Minutes have been sent out. Glossary change recommendations were made.

Discussion and Voting of issues.

Discussion turned to closing the open issues that have been marked at ready to close

PM-1-04: References to attributes in XACML predicates

There was considerable discussion about whether this was ready to close. The feeling was that we needed to see a specific proposal either free standing or in the working spec before we could vote to close. The issue was raised as to whether we should use XPath expressions here. It was not closed

PM-2-05: Ensuring Completeness

It was agreed that this could be closed, but the resolution had to be worded to be consistent with the new glossary. This it was not voted closed.

PM-4-02: Policy names as URIs

Everybody agreed we should close this, because policy names are URIs in the current spec. Then we noticed that actually Policy Identifiers are URIs and Policy Names are strings. Everybody agreed this is the way it should be. Nobody could think of a reason to have an name and an id which were both URIs. The Committee voted to close this issue with a resolution to leave the name and id as they are (string and URI respectively.)

PM-4-04:syntax extension

The TC voted to close this issue as a matter of housekeeping and take up specific proposals for XACML extension points as separate issues.

PM-4-06:Comment element

It was suggested that Annotation, which is built into XML schema be used instead. It was explained that this is for commenting Schemas, not instances. It was also pointed out that XML has a provision for imbedded comments. The committee agreed to close this issue. The resolution is that an element called "Description" will be added to the schema and the text will say explicitly that the contents of this element MAY NOT affect policy evaluation in any way.

At this point there was only five minutes left. The rest of the meeting was taken up on logistics for the F2F at Sun March 11 &12. Location, hotels and transportation was discussed.