Subject: RE: [xacml] problem understanding resolution for issue PM-2-06

Title: RE: [xacml] problem understanding resolution for issue PM-2-06

Konstantin - According to my understanding, we are currently attempting to get "agreement in principle".  A particular resolution may have implications throughout the specification.  So, it seems more efficient to allow the editor one attempt to update the specification in accordance with the resolutions.  After that, we should turn our attention to crafting the text.  Naturally, if disagreements arise over the specific text of the next version of the specification, then we should reexamine the resolutions.

So, I propose that, once we have nailed down this batch of issues, I will produce a v13.  Then let's see if we can progress by commenting on the actual text of that version.  Any objections?  All the best.  Tim.

Tim Moses
Tel: 613.270.3183

-----Original Message-----
From: Beznosov, Konstantin [mailto:Konstantin.Beznosov@Quadrasis.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 10:19 AM
To: xacml@lists.oasis-open.org

Yes, Anne's explanation is very helpful. At the same time, if the
resolution text to be included verbatime in the spec, then it seems to
me that the resolution text needs some work to make the point more clear
and less ambiguous. On the other hand, if Tim, or somebody else, is
going to come up with another version of the wording for the spec, then
the resolution will suffice.

This makes me wonder what should be an end result of an issue
resolution. Something tells me that any issue resolution should result
in the spec changes since XACML spec is the only (at least the key)
outcome, visible to the external parties, that this TC has. If this
premise is correct, then spec changes that correspond to a resolution
should be part of the resolution and not left up to the editor or
anybody else because nobody can guarantee correctness of a translation
from a resolution to the changes in the spec. If you are still with me,
then may I suggest that all issue resolutions are made in a form that
clearly states what changes should be done to the spec text and the
schema, i.e. what text is deleted/inserted/modified. For example, one
would expect that resolution of issue PM-2-06 says something like "Add
the following paragraph right after line XXX of 0.12 draft: ..."

Regards
Konstantin