Subject: [xacml] US Patent Application

The following is an update of IBM's patent applications.

As I said in the today's confcall, I would like to let you know about a US
patent application . The US patent application is not a translation of the
Japanese patent application I explained in the last F2F meeting but a
counterpart to the Japanese published patent application. The final
issuance of claims for the US patent application may not be identical to
those issued for the Japanese application.  The Japanese patent application
is the parent (original) submitted application.

I was not aware of the US application, when I disclosed the Japanese patent
application.  The discovery of the US patent application was as a result of
an internal IBM patent search (which is not required by OASIS), in which
IBM desired to be forthright to determine whether  English documentation
could be provided to the XACML TC.

Title: ACCESS CONTROL SYSTEM, ACCESS CONTROL METHOD, STORAGE MEDIUM AND
PROGRAM TRANSMISSION APPARATUS

(Japan) Application number: H01-358178
(Japan) Filing date: 12/16/1999
(Japan) Publication date: 07/06/2001

(U.S.) Application number:  09/738484
(U.S.) Filing date: 12/15/2000
(U.S.) Publication date: 09/20/2001

Best
Michiharu Kudo

IBM Tokyo Research Laboratory, Internet Technology
Tel. +81 (46) 215-4642   Fax +81 (46) 273-7428