Subject: [xacml] Observation on "context"

Title: Observation on "context"

Colleagues - Apologies if I have misunderstood the excellent work you have already done on "context".  Tell me if there is a grain of value in this observation.

Currently, we think of "context" as an XML document, perhaps real and perhaps notional.  Nevertheless, context has all the characteristics of an XML document.  For instance, an element can have both contents and attributes.

I wonder if the rich features of an XML document are really more than is actually required to meet the requirement.  Do we need both element contents and attributes?  If one is sufficient, doesn't a name-tree serve the purpose adequately?

For instance, we could define a name tree that includes:

     xacml/context/input/principal/codeSigner/name

to indicate the name of the code-signer principal in the input context.  This idea doesn't conflict with the excellent idea of a "context".  It merely gets away from thinking of it as an XML document.  You could think of it as equivalent to an XML document in which attributes are not allowed, if you like.

Thoughts?  All the best.  Tim.

Tim Moses
Tel: 613.270.3183