Subject: Fw: [xacml] predicates and predicate expr wihtin context

This is a resend of my previous message on predicates and predicate expressions
within context. Principal type was not proposed yet, but it could be added.
Cases 1 and 3 are my preference.
I will send updated proposal (in a week)
Simon

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 1:02 AM

Predicates and predicate expressions with context.

The only issue we have to clarify is the use of attributes and
attribute designators in predicates and predicate expressions.

saml:Attribute will be replaced with xacml:Attribute. That's all that
needs to be done for attributes.

Attribute designators require a little more work, because attribute
designator has to be explicit where it is pointing to.

1) One way to do explicit pointing, is to have distinct element declarations
for subject-attribute-designator, resource-attribute-designator, and
other-attribute-designator. Each of these designators will implicitely
point to different portions of request context. Advantage: simplicity.

2) Another way to do pointing is to declare one attribute-designator
element but include additional '@kind' attribute in it's type with values
(subject|resource|other). It is also simple, but I think (1) is better xml.

3) Have 'selector' element that will use arbitrary xpath expression to point
into the context.

My preference is to have both (1) (simplicity) and (3) (flexibility).

Here is a simplified version of xacml attribute designator:

<xs:complexType name="AttributeDesignatorType"> (4)
   <xs:sequence>
      <xs:element ref="xacml:Holder" minOccurs="0"/>
   <xs:sequence>
   <xs:attribute name="AttributeName" type="xs:string"/>
   <xs:attribute name="AttributeFamily" type="xs:string"/>
</xs:complexType>

Schema for (1): Separate designator declarations
<element name="SubjectAttributeDesignator" type="xacml:AttributeDesignator"/>
<element name="ResourceAttributeDesignator" type="xacml:AttributeDesignator"/>
<element name="OtherAttributeDesignator" type="xacml:AttributeDesignator"/>

Use:
<Rule Ruleid="urn:rule1">
   <Conditions>
      <greater>
         <SubjectAttributeDesignator AttributeName="RequestedMembershipLevel"
            AttributeFamily="www.oasis-open.org/catalyst2002/attributes"/>
         <SubjectAttributeDesignator AttributeName="MembershipLevel"
            AttributeFamily="www.oasis-open.org/catalyst2002/attributes"/>
      </greater>
   </Conditions>
</xacml:Rule>

Schema for (2): @kind attribute in designator - (4) extended with 1 attr
<compexType name="AttributeDesignator">
   <attribute name="kind" type="xacml:AttributeDesignatorKindType"/>
</complexType>

Use:
<Rule Ruleid="urn:rule1">
   <Conditions>
      <greater>
         <AttributeDesignator
             kind="subject" AttributeName="RequestedMembershipLevel"
             AttributeFamily="www.oasis-open.org/catalyst2002/attributes"/>
         <AttributeDesignator
            kind="subject" AttributeName="MembershipLevel"
            AttributeFamily="www.oasis-open.org/catalyst2002/attributes"/>
      </greater>
   </Conditions>
</xacml:Rule>

Schema for (3): 'selector' with xpath
<complexType name="AttributeSelector">
   <simpleContent>
      <extension base="xs:string"/>
   </simpleContent>
</complexType>

Use:
<Rule Ruleid="urn:rule1">
   <Conditions>
      <greater>
         <AttributeSelector xmlns:x="www.oasis-open.org/xacml">
            /x:RequestContext/x:ContextSubject/Attribute
            [@AttributeName="RequestedMembershipLevel]
            [@AttributeFamily="www.oasis-open.org/catalyst2002/attributes"]
         </AttributeSelector>
         <AttributeSelector xmlns:x="www.oasis-open.org/xacml">
            /x:RequestContext/x:ContextSubject/Attribute
            [@AttributeName="MembershipLevel]
            [@AttributeFamily="www.oasis-open.org/catalyst2002/attributes"]
         </AttributeSelector>
      </greater>