Subject: [xacml] Comments on defining predicates and functions

I asked our internal XML experts for their feedback on our two
choices.  Since next week is a holiday here, no one has much
time to review in detail, but the appended quick comments
came in.

Anne Anderson       Anne.Anderson@Sun.COM
Internet Security Research Group, Sun Labs
Sun Microsystems, Inc., Burlington, MA
Commenter #1:

I'd suggest you vote for using XML rather than plain language. The
ability to
validate at policy creation time is not something to sneeze at...

[Anne: but we can't validate at policy creation time, right?  We need
to have a Request to validate.]
Commenter #2:

| We are leaning toward allowing a policy writer to specify what
| syntax is being used for element selection: XPATH, SQL, regular
| expression, etc.  Even where XPATH is specified, however, a
| subset may be sufficient.  Michiharu Kudo (IBM) volunteered to
| propose such a subset.

They also need to pick XPath 1.0 or XPath 2.0 (explicitly); I expect
1.0 is the intent.

If they decide to subset, I strongly encourage them to use the XML
Schema subset, unless it's insufficient (in which case, what sort of
subset could they be looking for?)

And if they only want element selection, XPointer is a possibility
(framework+element).

| He also wants to support XSLT function
| calls in policy conditions.

I assume this means extension functions in XPath, not functions
defined in XSLT 2.0. In this case, the only problem is that they will
have to invent some mechanism for declaring the extension namespace
and supporting function-available(). And they'll need an "if"
construct, probably. This is a pretty big endeavor.