Subject: [xacml] Problem with treating INDETERMINATE as FALSE

Given that we have a "not" operator and also a DenyOverrides
combining algorithm, we have to be VERY careful about simply
converting Indeterminate results to False.

The rule of thumb in the security community is that "lack of
information should NEVER result in increased privileges."

This means that we can't just convert "indeterminate" to false if
the result would have been different were the value not
"indeterminate".

Example 1:

<rule Effect="Deny">
  <condition>
      <or>
         Request/Subject/SubjectId = "A. Bad Hacker"
         Request/Subject/Attribute/Role = "KnownBadHacker"
      </or>
  </condition>
</rule>

Assume the Request SubjectId is "Another Bad Hacker", and this
requester has been issued a Role attribute with the value
"KnownBadHacker".  Assume this nefarious character causes a
temporary network outage, resulting in temporary unavailability
of the Role attribute.

If we return FALSE from <or> of a FALSE and an INDETERMINATE,
then the rule will return "notApplicable".  If the Role attribute
had been available, however, the result would have been Deny.
This represents an increased privilege due to lack of
information.

Example 2:

<rule Effect="Permit">
  <condition>
    <not>
      <or>
         Request/Subject/SubjectId = "A. Bad Hacker"
         Request/Subject/Attribute/Role = "KnownBadHacker"
      </or>
    </not>
  </condition>
</rule>

Once again, assume the Request SubjectId is "Another Bad Hacker",
and this requester has been issued a Role attribute with the
value "KnownBadHacker".  Assume this nefarious character causes a
temporary network outage, resulting in temporary unavailability
of the Role attribute.

If we return FALSE from <or> of a FALSE and an INDETERMINATE,
then the rule will return "Permit".  If the Role attribute had
been available, however, the result would have been "not
applicable".  This represents an increased privilege due to lack
of information.