Subject: [xacml] re: Attribute Selector example

Michiharu,

I see that you want to compute the node-set of xpath expression specified in
the request-context before passing it to the node-match function.

Of course, something like that could be accomplished in the condition
with 'xpath-expr' function:
<Apply FunctionId="function:node-match">
    <Apply FunctionId="function:xpath-expr">
        <ResourceAttributeDesignator
            AttributeId="urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:resource:xpath"
            DataType="xs:string"/>
    </Apply>
    <AttributeSelector RequestContextPath="..."/>
</Apply>

You want to do the same thing in the target.

I'm not completely sold on your syntax for AttributeSelector. I'd prefer this extension:
<AttributeSelector indirect="true"> (or IndirectAttributeSelector)
    <ResourceAttributeDesignator AttributeId="urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:resource:xpath"
        DataType="xsi:string"/>
</AttributeSelector>

Better yet to relax 'match' element to allow 'apply' children.

Another approach:
I think that complication is in 'node-match' function definition that takes --results--
of xpath expression. That forces you to produce this result, so you
need additional semantics in attribute-selector.

Consider different function that takes --xpath-expressions-- as arguments
(as in examples in section 3). Than you do not have to produce node sets
before calling this function and no change in schema is needed.

Suppose that node-match-1 has exact same semantics as node-match but
take 2 xpath expressions: xpath-expr-request and xpath-expr-rule:
node-match-1(xpath-expr-req, xpath-expr-rule).

You can use it in the target:
<ResourceMatch MatchId="function:node-match-1">
    <ResourceAttributeDesignator
        AttributeId="urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:resource:xpath"
        DataType="xsi:string"/>
    <AttributeValue DataType="xsi:string">//md:record</AttributeValue>
</ResourceMatch>

Simon