Subject: [xacml] Re: Question about mechanics of announcing a public review

Hal:

You're right; we haven't done this before. So we'll have to make it up
as we go this first time.

The Process says that the public review "should be publicized on
applicable OASIS lists and other public mail lists." So the announcement
should at a minimum go to the OASIS members list, which will get to all
participants of all TCs. announce would probably be redundant, plus it's
used mostly for press releases. xml-dev would be good for getting a
broader audience of XML developers. If there are other lists that we can
get a message on then we should do that too. The idea is to get as many
(good) comments as possible.

 > I envision the announcement would be quite simple: what, when, where,
 > how to comment.

Yeah, something like that. If you'd like to take a stab at drafting
something I could polish it before sedning it out. Or if you'd prefer to
just send me the bare facts I can draft the announcement.

 > The timeframe for this may be quite short. We hope to vote for committee
 > spec tomorrow, begin the review Monday, ending Nov 13 and submit to
 > OASIS by Nov 15. This may of course slip if we are not ready.

Don't try to rush this; we cut the approval schedule specifically so you
wouldn't need to feel rushed. Remember that you've got to include an
account of the disposition of the comments when you submit to OASIS, and
you can't do this until you have actually addressed the comments. If you
don't get any comments back then you can submit right away, but you may
get some comments that will need to be addressed, after which you need
to re-approve the Committee Specification before you submit to OASIS.

-Karl

--
</karl>
Karl F. Best