Subject: Re: [xacml] Section 7.3 re-wording

Anne,

I think we should just stop at your re-wording at

> The target value SHALL be "Match" if the subject, resource and
> action elements specified in the target all match values in the
> request context.  The target value SHALL be "No-match" if the
> subject, resource, and action elements specified in the target do
> not match values in the request context.

Here, as you did catch the mix-up between the target and the request
context in the spec.

However, the evaluation to Indeterminate is based upon the evaluation of
the contained Match Elements of which they all contain their own
Indeterminate semantics. So, I think let's leave it there.

I think we are describing the evaluation of the Target expression with
respect to its elements, not about what its elements do. That
functionality is defined elsewhere, so we don't need to redefine it here.

How about:

The target value SHALL be "Match" if the subject, resource and action
elements specified in the target result in "true". The target value SHALL
be "No-match" if one of the subject, resource, or action elements
specified in the target results in "false". The target value ShALL be
"Indeterminate" if any of the subject, resource, or action elements
results in "Indeterminate."

Simiarly I think the sentence at the end of Section 7.4 Conditons,

If any attribute value referenced in the condition cannot be obtained,
then the condition SHALL evaluate to "Indeterminate".

should be removed, as this semantics and how it is handled is defined for
every element that retrieves attribute values.

Cheers,

-Polar