Subject: [xacml] advancement of XACML spec

OASIS members:

I had previously announced that the XACML specification received
sufficient votes to be approved as an OASIS Standard, but because it
received negative votes it was being sent back to the originating TC for
their decision on how to address the negative votes and accompanying
comments.

The TC has reached a decision on this matter, and has voted to request
approval of the spec as an OASIS Standard despite the negative votes.
The response of the TC is as follows:

"An implementation of any standard, in some particular way, may infringe
on some intellectual property, whether that IP has been disclosed to
OASIS or not. Each implementation must take appropriate steps to
determine whether or not it infringes on valid IP claims.

The XACML TC has taken reasonable steps to ensure and to document that
all features of this language are derived from previous work in the
field that is not under patent restrictions. We intentionally made one
feature of the language - Obligations - not mandatory to implement in
order to make it easier for implementations to avoid a particular
feature that might, in some cases, infringe on a known IP claim.

It is the belief of the TC that useful and fully-compliant
implementations of XACML 1.0 can be created that are royalty free. The
TC therefore requests that OASIS adopt the XACML 1.0 specification as
submitted."

I am pleased to announce, therefore, that the XACML v1.0 specification
has been approved as an OASIS Standard.

The XACML TC is to be congratulated on the work they have done in
developing this specification.

-Karl

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS