Subject: RE: [xacml] WS-Policy and XACML comparison

Anne - My plan would be to lay these use-cases out a lot more clearly in a
use-case document.  But, for the time-being ...

In 1.a., you are right, the issue is the service-provider's PDP telling it
whether it should accept a service request or not.

In 1.b., right again.  I don't think the consumer should assume that the
provider (in forming the response) has followed the consumer's instructions
faithfully.  Perhaps, the consumer requires a certain portion of the
response to be signed, and (what's more) signed with a particular "usage".
If the response is not suitably signed, the consumer should reject the
response.

3. is the "privacy" case, in which the custodian of another entity's
information has a policy regarding its further disclosure and so does the
information owner.  So, prior to forwarding the information or archiving it,
etc, the process determines if the step is conformant with both policies.

All the best.  Tim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Anne Anderson [mailto:Anne.Anderson@Sun.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 10:30 AM
To: Tim Moses
Cc: XACML TC

On 26 February, Tim Moses writes: RE: [xacml] WS-Policy and XACML comparison
 > Colleagues - The persuasiveness of Anne's argument is inescapable.  I
 > propose the following use-cases as a starting point.  All the best.  Tim.
 >
 > 1.a.  Provider decision - Service provider decides whether a request is
 > conformant with the applicable part of its policy.
 > 1.b.  Consumer decision - Service consumer decides whether a response is
 > conformant with the applicable part of its policy.
 > 2.a.  Construct request - Service consumer forms a request that is
 > simultaneously conformant with the applicable part of its own and the
 > service provider's policy, or returns a fault.
 > 2.b.  Construct response - Service provider forms a response that is
 > simultaneously conformant with the applicable part of its own and the
 > service consumer's policy, or returns a fault.
 > 3.  Forward decision - Subsequent process-step decides whether a request
is
 > conformant with its own and the information owner's policy.

Tim,

Could you clarify these use cases for me?

- Is "Provider decision" the same as a PDP decision?

- Is the "response" in "Consumer decision" the response by the
  service provider to the service request?  I have been assuming
  that most of the policies for the format, security, etc. of the
  response to the service request would have been negotiated as
  part of the service request, and that, often, the service
  consumer would not even be able to understand a response that
  was not in the mutually agreed upon format (for example,
  encrypted using an algorithm the consumer does not support).

- What does "its" refer to in "Forward decision"?  The service
  provider?  How is this different from "provider decision"?

Thanks,