Subject: Re: [xacml] instance of "second proposal for hierarchical resources"

i am reposting this since, the previous note had the wrong subject (i
tried to post to the list with my personal account :o).

sorry about the duplication, but i don't want to screw up the thread.

+++

while the PDP won't have any idea if a file is pointer or source, the
PEP most assuredly will. while thinking about how and if we should
address this i began to wonder if we really want to put search semantics
in the the AttrbitueValue data (*/*/++/+)

<AttributeValue DataType="ufs-path">
     file://sydney.east.sun.com/home/aa74233/++
</AttributeValue>

for example, let's look at '+' in UFS...

# ls
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           71 May 16 06:57 +
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           71 May 16 06:51 +.html

# cat +
<head>
<title>+ file</title>
hello world

or, moving to another hierarchical resource that we all know and love:

http://www.overxeer.com/xfr/+
http://www.overxeer.com/xfr/%2B

(the latter points out the *other* problem with 'content based'
semantics: unanticipated substitution.)

i understand that the semantics of a policy are not subject to the same
constraints as that for whatever HR (hierarchical resources) is being
protected, but will this be clear to the policy writer? i have concerns
that this may introduce security issues due to unintended consequences.

perhaps we should consider extension of the schema thus:

<AttributeValue DataType="ufs-path" DataScope="*">
     file://sydney.east.sun.com/home/aa74233/
</AttributeValue>

of course, misinterpretations can happen with any improperly written
policy, but my experience is that it is MUCH easier to screw up
something if the *data* has to unambiguous, rather than the
infrastructure (which is typically handled by a UI). another upside is
that by creating  an attribute a set of 'DataScopes' can be defined that
will apply to any resource (semantically, anyway).

thoughts?