Subject: Compatibility between XACML and SQL security?. Forwarded message from Arnon Rosenthal.

------- start of forwarded message -------
From: Arnon Rosenthal <arnie@mitre.org>
To: Anne.Anderson@sun.com
Subject: Compatibility between XACML and SQL security?
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 13:11:13 -0400

(PierAngela suggested that I contact one of the chairs.
I thought I shouldn't send it to the hole TC,
without first hearing a reaction).

Has anyone studied compatibility between XACML and  SQL security?  Or
better yet,
defined a formal model to extract a common portion?

My thought is that DBMS vendors want to build dual-personality DBMSs
(XML+SQL), where both models are "first class" at  both storage and
interface.
I realize that XML usage goes far beyond databases, and XACML intends to
be far more expressive.  Still,  inconsistency on the interesection
will be painful, and SQL does have some useful notions (like derived
data).

I don't think SQL can just be called legacy.   There's probably room for
both it and XQuery, since they differ very substantially in power &
attendant complexity  (unlike, say SQL and entity-relationship).

--
        arnie

Arnon Rosenthal         arnie@mitre.org         (781)-271-7577
The MITRE Corporation   202 Burlington Road k/308,   Bedford MA
01730      USA
       http://www.mitre.org/tech/itc/staffpages/arnie/index.html

------- end of forwarded message -------