Subject: Re: F2F Attendance by a non-OASIS member

Hi Hal,

Hal Lockhart wrote:

> At the last meeting I took an action item to investigate OASIS policy on a
> non-OASIS member attending a F2F meeting.
>
> The short answer is it is not allowed. OASIS hase no "visiting expert"
> concept. If someone is considering joining OASIS and they want to "see what
> it is like" they would permit that. There is also a provision that Patrick
> Gannon (President) can grant a one year, fee waived, individual membership
> on a case by case basis.
>
> As I suspected, the primary issue is IPR. OASIS has no provision for
> non-members to agree to be bound by their IPR Policy.
>
> I believe somebody (Frank?) was going to check with David Chadwick to find
> out if a) he would really attend a XACML F2F in the Bay in October and b) it
> is not possible for him to join OASIS even as an individual.

I checked with David, and he regrets that he won't be able to come.

> I suggest we not do anything further unless we hear that both of these
> things are true.

As David can't come, we could call this issue "resolved" for our f2f.

Thanks for following up, and at least we know now the official procedure for the
next occasion when this may come up.

Regards, Frank.

--
Frank Siebenlist              franks@mcs.anl.gov
The Globus Project - Argonne National Laboratory