Subject: Re: [xacml] problem with status detail

Seth there are problems with your approach. below.

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, seth proctor wrote:

> [apologies in advance if someone has already caught this...I know there
> are discussions about status, but I haven't seen this issue discussed yet]
>
> In 6.15 there is an explination for what detail to include with the
> missing-attribute status code: Attributes specify one or more missing
> values, and if an AttributeValue is included, then this specifies an
> acceptable value. If no AttributeValue is included, then the PDP is
> specifying the identifier and datatype only. Sounds good.
>
> The problem is that at some point the Attribute type was changed from
>
>    <xs:element ref="xacml-context:AttributeValue" minOccurs="0"/>

>    <xs:element ref="xacml-context:AttributeValue"/>
>
> This means that it's no longer valid to have an Attribute with no
> AttributeValue.

That is correct.

> So, I don't think it's possible for the PDP to specify a missing
> attribute without specifying at least one acceptable value (note that
> even an empty AttributeValue tag, which is still legal, is still
> technically a value). Do others agree? If so, I think this is a problem.
> PDPs need a way to specify missing attributes without providing
> acceptable values.

I don't get what you mean by the PDP specifying an missing attribute?

If an attribute designator always returns a Bag of values.

It is the solid condition that the sought after attribute is considered
missing IF AND ONLY IF the bag is empty.

That is why the AttributeValue was changed to having at least 1.

-Polar