Subject: Re: [xacml] Any Subject, Any Resource, Any Action,Any Environment (fwd from Polar)

[The message I just sent was a forward from Polar, in case that
was not clear.  -Anne]

Here is my view:

The <Target> serves as an applicability pre-condition on the
<Rule>.  If there is no <Target>, then there is no pre-condition,
and the <Rule> simply applies (given any inherited pre-conditions
from the parent Policy).

Likewise with <Subjects>, <Resources>, ... inside a <Target>:
each is a pre-condition on <Subjects>, etc. to which this <Rule>
is applicable.  If there is no pre-condition, then the <Rule> is
applicable to any <Subject>, etc.

To me, the <Target> represents applicability narrowing
conditions.  It seems like you are suggesting that the absence of
narrowing conditions means maximum narrowing
(i.e. non-applicability), but this does not seem intuitive to me.
If there are no narrowing conditions, then the applicability is
completely open.  I think this interpretation is intuitive, and
can be easily reinforced by the text.

Anne

On 23 January, Anne Anderson writes: [xacml] Any Subject, Any Resource, Any Action, Any Environment (fwd from Polar)