Subject: Re: [xacml] WI#58: standard hierarchy schema

On 28 January, Rebekah Metz writes: Re: [xacml] WI#58: standard hierarchy schema
 > Editorial note:
 > Under the NodeType schema definition, the </xs:sequence> tag was missing.
 >
 > Some questions that come to mind:
 >
 > If this is the general xacml representation of a hierarchy, what are the
 > benefits of keeping it in a separate namespace rather than including it
 > directly in the xacml namespace?

Shorter schemas to validate against for people who do not use it?

 > Is there any information that should be permitted within the NodeType
 > definition?  For example,  with this representation of hierarchical
 > resources, there is no concept of order within the Nodes that appear as
 > children to another Node.

Is there a standard way to represent ordered nodes?  Or is that
just specified in the accompanying schema use description?

 > Does anything need to be said regarding wildcarding or perhaps regex use
 > within NodeName, if an implementation chooses to do so?

I don't know.  Comments, anyone?

 > Finally, can someone remind me why the RootName needs to be differentiated
 > as a URI from the name of the Node?  I can't seem to find that discussion in
 > my archive.

I don't think there has been any discussion.  I propose using a
URI there because the root is not just a name; it is also a
location - the system on which the hierarchy is located.  The
nodes can just be names once you know how to locate the hierarchy
root.

 > If we keep this hierarchy general, i.e. not referring specifically to file
 > systems or such, I think that including it as an appendix is appropriate.
 > The application of such a schema to a particular problem, such as a web
 > archive, file system, etc could then be presented separately in a profile
 > with examples.

All excellent comments and questions.  This is why I wanted to
get some sort of starting point out on the table.

-Anne