Subject: XACML Profile for Role Based Access Control (RBAC)

Colleagues,

I have re-formatted the RBAC profile as a Committee
Specification, and this new version is attached as a PDF file.  I
have cleaned up lots of formatting, spelling, grammar,
etc. errors that were in the working draft.

Three notes, the first of which concerns a change that perhaps
exceeds the bounds of editorial discretion:

1) Section 1.5 Multi-Role Permissions

   Previously, this non-normative section said:

     "The permissions associated with a given Multi-Role
     <PolicySet>, however, may be inherited only by other
     multi-role policies that require a superset of the roles
     required by the given multi-role policy.  This is because
     the <Target> of the Role <PermissionSet> associated with the
     multi-role policy will screen out any Subject that does not
     possess at least the set of roles required by the given
     multi-role policy."

   During my close edit reading, I realized that this statement
   is incorrect and also conflicts with the rest of the document;
   it assumed that the other role would include the multi-role
   Role <PolicySet>, which include the role-restricting Target,
   rather than the multi-role Permission <PolicySet>, which
   contains an "any" Target.  Elsewhere, the text is very clear
   that to include the permissions of another role, you include
   that role's Permission <PolicySet>, not that role's Role
   <PolicySet>.

   I have reworded this to say:

     "The permissions associated with a given multi-role <PolicySet>
     may also be inherited by another role if the other role
     includes a reference to the Permission <PolicySet> associated
     with the multi-role policy in its own Permission <PolicySet>."

   If anyone objects to this change, please say so.

2) The line numbers in the examples use a different line number
   sequence from the line numbers in the rest of the text.  This
   seems to be a "feature" of StarOffice, so I hope you can live
   with it.  The line numbers in the examples end in a ".",
   whereas the line numbers in the text do not, so it is possible
   to specify the series of numbers to which you are referring.

3) The document's title page says its location is
   "http://docs/oasis-open.org/xacml/cs-xacml-rbac-profile-01.pdf";.
   The document is not located there now (since this edit has not
   been approved yet), but will be uploaded into the location by
   the OASIS webmaster once I give her the version to use.  This
   makes use of a little-known OASIS manual mechanism for
   reserving a URL for use by a committee specification or
   standard rather than using the Kavi repository, which assigns
   the URL only as it is being uploaded.

I will wait a decision from the chairs as to when this version
should be uploaded as the accepted Committee Specification.

XACML Profile for Role Based Access Control (RBAC)