Subject: Re: [xacml] legal values for Strings

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 08:41, Polar Humenn wrote:
> The string may contain any kind of characters as it wants. It may also
> contain "42".
>
> Conceivably, I should be able to have
>
>    <AttributeValue DataType="...:string" AttributeId="foo">
>      <bar>baz
>    </AttributeValue>
>
> Would that cause a problem with the current DOM parsers?

Yes, it would. The problem with the example you give here is that it's
not valid XML. If you use some common system like DOM or SAX to parse
your XML, then this example should be rejected before you ever get the
chance to work with it.

> Do we need a new string type that that "escapes" tag brackets?
>
> For example:
>    <AttributeValue DataType="...:string" AttributeId="foo">
>      \<bar>baz\</bar>
>    </AttributeValue>
>
> But then that means we must also escape the escape (i.e. "\\").

As Daniel and others have pointed out, there actually already is an
escaping machanism in XML for bracket characters. Convenient eh? :) This
means that you can express your example in a valid form without having
to come up with a new escaping mechanism. It also means that we don't
need to define a new string datatype. At least, this is how some of us
are reading it.

seth