Subject: Re: [xacml] oasis-xacml-2_0-core-spec-wd-08.zip

Michiharu,

On deeper analysis by the water cooler, I think I may see the very thing
that you are after. And it is not the <Rule> with obligations, but *just*
conditionalized obligations? Is that correct?

If Condition X  is true then emit obligation Y on Permit (or Deny).

If so, then why not just add a condition wrapper around a single
obligation or set of obligations, instead of screwing around with the
rules and complicating their combining algorithms, and forcing them to
pull obligations out of the rules.  We can just add this item (or more) to
the Policy:

<ConditionalizedObligations>
    <Condition>
         <Expression> (which could be a variable reference)
    </Condition>
    <Obligation/>
    <Obligation/>
</ConditionalizedObligations>

I'd be much happier with this approach than sticking them into rules.
And the semantics would be cleaner and quite less confusing, and more
intuitive.

Especially, if the purpose is to conditionalize an obligation. If the way
to do this was by putting the obligation in a <Rule> then you would have
to think up a bogus <Rule> and give it an Effect that you don't think will
affect the rule combination.  In other words, a hack.

Cheers,
-Polar