Subject: regex in the spec

i was looking at the regular expressions during the f2f and wanted to toss out
some thoughts on it after looking into it a bit more.

first, in the spec we don't really say much in terms of regular expression
conformance and that kinda worries me. i am thinking that maybe we should call
out a generally accepted flavor of regex, then pare it down as (if) necessary
for our spec.

second, i was looking at the expressions themselves and am a little
confused--because, i think, the current verbage uses *perl* regex and i was
thinking that we would be using *posix* regex, specifically 'POSIX 1003.2'
flavored expressions--by this:

<xs:pattern value="(\d+\.)*\d+"/>

i assume that we want to cover this:

1
1.1
1.2.3
1123.2386576.93783636.736235252

using posix regex i would write this as:

<xs:pattern value= "[0-9]+(\.([0-9])+)*" />

besides the syntactical difference i would move the literal '.' to the predicate
so that '1.' isn't valid ;o)

as to "Simple type VersionMatchType":

<xs:pattern value="((\d+|\*)\.)*(\d+|\*|\+)"/>

if the idea here is to simply include a direct regular expressions i suggest
using the same:

<xs:pattern value= "[0-9]+(\.([0-9])+)*" />

going this route ensures that just about any language that operates on regular
expressions will support the syntax and that there is a tangible reference point
for the semantics.

thoughts?