Subject: FW: url-subtree-match

-----Original Message-----
From: bill [mailto:bill@parducci.net]
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 4:59 PM
To: Tim Moses
Subject: url-subtree-match

based on the last con call here is my idea on matching urls. i see the
url-subtree-match function as basically a concatenation of existing XACML
functions. thus, the definition becomes:

urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:2.0:function:url-subtree-match

This function takes two arguments, the first of type
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#anyURI

the second of type http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string

and SHALL return an http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#boolean.

The function SHALL return "True" if all of the following conditions hold.
Otherwise, it SHALL return "False.

1. The first argument--representing the host portion of the resource--is
matched
using urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:function:anyURI-equal.

2. The second argument--representing a subset of the host resources--is
matched
using urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:function:regexp-string-match

3. Together, the first and second arguments comprise the complete URL being
tested.

Example:

http://foo.com/abc/123

first argument: http://foo.com
second argument: /abc/123

Note: For this to work (actually for ANY url matching syntax to work) all
relational URI refernces must be fully expanded to the FQDN for evaluation
(including protocol).

i think this provides a balance between the 'ugliness' and power of regex
and
the issues surrounding creating our own matching syntax. anyway, i am
tossing it
out for discussion.