Subject: Six issues

Colleagues - As I mentioned on the call this morning there are six issues
surrounding url/urn matching that I need to resolve urgently.  Please give
them your consideration and (if you feel strongly) express your preferences.
It is proposed to ...

1. provide separate functions for matching URNs and URLs.

2. simply use our existing regex-match function to match URNs.

3. provide an ipV4Address match function.  We will not provide a matching
function for ipV6 addresses.

4. tackle ipV4address ranges using upper and lower limits, as opposed to a
subnet mask.

5. simply use our existing regex-match function to match DNS names.

6. split URLs into three parts: a scheme part for which string-match will be
used; an authority part for which we will use either ipV4Address-match or
dnsName-match and a path part for which we will use the existing regex-match
function.  IP addresses will be distinguishable from DNS names because they
begin with a number.  Port number will be treated as part of the path and,
if it is missing, the default port number for the scheme will be inserted.

The bit about distinguishing between IP address and DNS name is uncertain.
If anyone has a better idea, please let me know.

Please see the attached change request.

All the best.  Tim.

Tim Moses
613.270.3183