Subject: RE: [xacml] Six issues

Colleagues - This might be the only set of issues standing between us and
committee draft 2.0. So, I'm quite keen to get them resolved one way or the
other.

Originally, I had thought there was utility in defining a type-specific
match function for restricted URLs.   But, there is a continuum between a
simplistic solution for highly restricted URL syntax and one for the full
generality of URIs.  And we don't seem to be able to find a Goldilocks zone.

Hence, I suggest we drop the idea.  The existing regexp-string match
function will serve.  Perhaps, we could define a new resource attribute
called "resource-uri".  But, I don't think even this is necessary.

This approach would mean that, unless one were to attempt to encode
URI-specific characteristics into the regex, the answers to Gene's questions
would all be "no".  One would not be able to compare an authority expressed
as an IP address with one expressed as a DNS name.  There would be no
support for aliases or hosts with multiple IP addresses.  There would be no
support for default port numbers, etc..

Can people live with this compromise?

All the best.  Tim.

PS.  We still have to sort out the IP address match function.