Subject: Open Issues in Profiles, Version 1.4

The updated list of issues pertaining to the Profiles that we
expect or hope to progress to OASIS Standard along with XACML 2.0
is appended.  This list includes the decisions made in today's (5
August 2004) XACML TC meeting.

Title:   Open Issues in Profiles
Version: 1.4
Updated: 04/08/05 (yy/mm/dd)
Author:  Anne Anderson <Anne.Anderson@sun.com>

1. XACML XML DSig Profile

   a. Canonicalization

      There is no satisfactory standard canonicalization
      algorithm to be used on an XML document that is to be
      signed.  This is not an XACML-specific problem, but applies
      to all XML documents.  SAML recommends use of the
      "Exclusive Canonicalization" algorithm, but from what I
      have read, that does not cover all the processing needed to
      ensure that an XML schema instance will have the same
      canonical form after processing by different entities (this
      is what is required for digital signatures to work).

      "OASIS Schema Centric XML Canonicalization Version 1.0"
      seems to be the most appropriate, but is a Committee Draft
      of the OASIS UDDI Spec TC, but has not advanced.  It is not
      widely implemented as far as I can tell.

      PROPOSAL: I propose that we rewrite the XACML XML DSig
      Profile to say "XACML RECOMMENDS encapsulating XACML schema
      instances in SAML Queries and Assertions as described in
      the XACML Profile for SAML 2.0, and signing the SAML
      instance according to the SAML digital signature
      mechanisms." and then listing various canonicalization
      issues that SHOULD be addressed (taken from the Committee
      Draft above), but not make any recommendation about how to
      resolve them.

XACML TC 05 Aug 04: APPROVED.

   b. Signatures on referenced PolicySets and Policies

      In some cases, an Issuer wants to ensure that only a
      particular version of a referenced policy or policy set
      will be used.  We had said this could be solved by using a
      manifest with a digital signature.  But SAML requires use
      of enveloped signatures, which (as I recall) does not allow
      use of a manifest of external documents.

      PROPOSAL: [kind of late in the game, but maybe small
      enough] Go back to the proposal to allow an optional
      Name="Hash" Type="xml:hexBinary"? xml attribute in a
      <PolicyIdReference> or <PolicySetIdReference>.  We would
      specify that it be SHA1 (or some other specific algorithm)
      for interoperability.  Also have to specify
      canonicalization, so not as simple.

XACML TC 05 Aug 04: REJECTED.  Depend on Version.  If signed, and
      source is trusted, then it is secure.

2. XACML Profile for Role Based Access Control (RBAC), Version 2.0

   a. Separation of Duty

      The mechanism for handling RBAC described in the current
      draft of the profile handles basic RBAC and hierarchical
      RBAC, but does not handle dynamic Separation of Duty.
      Aleksey Studnev (Exigen Group) proposed the elements of a
      workable solution but I need to do some literature
      searching and expert consultant checking (NIST RBAC team)
      to be sure the solution is unencumbered before proceeding.

      PROPOSAL: I will try to finish my search and update the
      Profile promptly, but the XACML 2.0 standards bundle should
      not be delayed for this item.

3. XACML Profile for Request for Multiple Resources

   No known issues.  Please read current draft and comment.

4. XACML Profile for Hierarchical Resources

   a. URI for support for resource-ancestor, resource-parent

      Daniel has proposed that we have a URI defined for use in
      indicating support for these Attributes as a hierarchical
      resource mechanism.

      This is strictly a Context Handler issue, since the PDP
      evaluation is exactly the same for these Attributes as for
      any other.  Note also that support for these Attributes
      would be resource-specific: a Context Handler might support
      the values for some resources but not for others.

      PROPOSAL: I propose that the XACML Profile for Hierarchical
      Resources not define a special URI for this mechanism.  If
      an implementation needs an identifier to indicate that it
      supports these Attributes, then the URIs of the Attributes
      themselves could be used for this purpose.

XACML TC 05 Aug 04: Use the AttributeId of the attribute if
      needed.  Any future conformance advertisement mechanism can
      use these URIs plus further information such the identities
      of resources for which this is supported.  Same for URI
      representation of identities of hierarchical resources.

   b. Normalization of URI representation

      Do we need to specify normalization of %20, etc. characters
      in the URI representation of a hierarchical resource?

XACML TC 05 Aug 04: ACTION: Anne to send issue to list.

   c. 2 ways of referring.

5. Privacy policy profile of XACML

   No known issues.  Please read current draft and comment.

6. XACML Profile for SAML 2.0

   a. Populating SAML Response/Status/StatusCode/Value

      PROPOSAL: The following are the only permitted values, as
      specified by SAML.  I propose they be used as described.

      o urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:status:Success
            The request succeeded [a Statement is
            encapsulated]. or valid empty.
      o urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:status:Requester
            The request could not be performed due to an error on
            the part of the requester.
      o urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:status:Responder
            The request could not be performed due to an error on
            the part of the SAML responder or SAML authority.
      o urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:status:VersionMismatch
            The SAML responder could not process the request
            because the version of the request message was
            incorrect.

XACML TC 05 Aug 04: Need to map each of our error status cases to
            one of these.  Or "as long as there is an XACML
            <result>, then it is Success".  Anne to list with
            proposed mappings.

   b. Populating SAML Assertion/Conditions and Assertion/Advice

      PROPOSAL: I propose that our Profiles not specify any
      values for these except for Conditions/NotBefore and
      NotOnOrAfter, but say a Requester and Responder MAY agree
      to add other Conditions or Advice appropriate for their
      environment and protocol agreements.

XACML TC 05 Aug 04: APPROVED.

   c. Require Issuer match signature?

XACML TC 05 Aug 04: No.  Need to allow for 3rd party signatures.

   d. SHOULD or SHALL require validity period match to
      "current-dateTime"?

      Cases covered by profile: if Policy retrieved, then Policy
      SHALL be valid by "current-dateTime".

      Case: policies very volatile.  Suppose in order to test the
      features, want to test it on weekends and weekdays.

XACML TC 05 Aug 04: Decision validity period SHALL be consistent
      with validity periods of inputs to the decision.  Remaining
      constraints not needed.