Subject: RE: [xacml] xpath-expression datatype

Agreed that it is a bit late.  But I would think that is an important.

For the dynamic composition purposes, we can introduce string-to-xpath
mapping function.   Legacy policies then can be easily and automatically
converted to 2.0 functions.

Seems like an easy and safe change.

Daniel.

-----Original Message-----
From: Seth Proctor [mailto:Seth.Proctor@Sun.COM]
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2004 7:29 AM
To: Anne.Anderson@Sun.COM
Cc: 'XACML'

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 10:17, Anne Anderson wrote:
> [...comments about xpath-expression...]

I think we all agreed that there should be stronger typing, but we also
agreed that we shouldn't be trying to make significant changes like this
at the last minute. I would strongly vote against making any changes to
functions or datatypes at this point in the process. I do believe that
people compose XPath expressions (I've seen examples of this in user's
policies) dynamically, and they cannot do this with the xpath-expression
datatype. I do not believe that the lack of type safety here is actually
affecting anyone right now. Once we start talking about how to change
this, there will be a cascade effect of other changes.

My vote is to table this discussion.

seth

the OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xacml/members/leave_workgro