Subject: Re: [xacml] 2.0 draft 13 comments

Comments (on comments) in line. I only kept what I commented on, and left
out others that I have no comments on.

> Section 5.20: The last sentence ("* represents any sequence of digits of
> length zero or more") should be removed, as it is inaccurate. Also, this
> section might be better placed near the start of section 5, so it's in
> correct descent order, like the rest of the elements described in this
> section, but I don't think that's too critical.

I just think it needs to be reworded, not removed.

The expression "(\d+\.)*" means a zero or more length sequence of the
expression contained within the parentheses, which is a sequence of one
or more digits then followed by a dot.

> Section 5.22: There is a CombinerParameters element both inside and
> outside the choice. I think it should be in only one place. Also,
> neither the CombinerParameters element nor the RuleCombinerParameters
> element inside the choice should have minOccurs="0" since they're
> already in a choice with minOccurs="0".

Yep, the one outside the choice should be removed.

However, I don't understand these:

> Section 5.26: Lines 2331 and 2332 should be removed.
>
> Section 5.27: Lines 2361 and 2362 should be removed.
>
> Section 5.28: Lines 2392 and 2393 should be removed.

Unless I got the wrong line numbers, you are saying to remove:

<CombinerParameter> [Any Number]
	A single parameter. See Section 5.25.

This is merely an explanatory item that by convention we have in the
document that explains the child elements of the element being specified.

I see its just because the type extends CombinerParameters, which
includes those. Should we state maybe that by virtue of extending
"CombinerParameters" the <RuleCombiningParameters> element contains the the
following:

<CombinerParameter> [Any Number]
	A single parameter. See Section 5.25.

I don't know. What do you think?

> Section 7.5: The sentence on line 3340 starting "An element of the
> bag..." should end with ", as explained below." Otherwise its unclear
> how this works. Also, the end of the sentence starting on line 3355 is
> incorrect. A function used in a TargetMatch needs to accept base types
> as both parameters. So starting on line 3357, the text should read "the
> extension function returns a boolean result and takes two single base
> types as inputs."

Actually, the lines that you talk about are completely wrong! It should
read:

In addition, functions that are strictly within an extension to XACML MAY
appear as a value for the MatchId attribute, and those functions MAY use
data-types that are also extensions, so long as the extension function
takes two arguments and returns a boolean result. Since the first argument
to the function will come from the <AttributeValue> element of the
<SubjectMatch>, <ActionMatch>,<ResourceMatch>, or <EnvironmentMatch>,
their data-types must coincide. Since the second argument to the function
will come from the bag of items generated by the <AttributeDesignator> or
<AttributeSelector> of the match constructs, their data-types must
coincide. The function used as the value for the MatchId attribute SHOULD
be easily indexable. Use of non-indexable or complex functions may prevent
efficient evaluation of decision requests.

> Section 7.6: The sentence on line 3398 starting "The target value
> SHALL..." should be removed. We now support empty targets, but not
> absent targets. Also, the sentence starting on line 3406 "The target
> value SHALL..." is incorrect. It should either reference Subjects,
> Resources, Actions, and Environments, or should replace "target" with
> "Subject, Resource, Action, or Environment"...perhaps we want to have
> both pieces in there? On line 3414, the word "True" should be
> replaced with "Match". Finally, in table 3, the second row should read
> "No 'No match' and at least one 'Indeterminate'" instead of "and at
> least one 'Indeterminate'".

I agree. Actually, most of that text should be removed, and refer to the
table, which is precise. Trying to "explain" what happens is hard, and
often confusing, such as with:

The target value SHALL be "No-match" if the value of a <SubjectMatch>,
<ResourceMatch>, <ActionMatch> or <EnvironmentMatch> element is False.

Which of course, only applies if none of them threw an indeterminate.

We should state that the semantics of matching is defined by the table.

> Section 7.11: On line 3496, "rule-combining algorithm" should simply
> read "combining algorithm" and the reference to section 7.10 should be
> dropped.

It should probably say "policy-combining algorithm". Shouldn't it?

> Section 10.2.7: The xpath-expression datatype should be removed from
> the table.
> Section A.2: The reference to, and definition of the xpath-expression
> datatype should be removed.

I think that they should remain. We are not getting rid of it yet.

> Section A.3.12:
>
>   all-of-any: The second sentence should read "The expression SHALL be
>   'True' if and only if the supplied predicate is 'True' between each
>   element of the first bag and any element of the second bag." Also,
>   starting on line 4609 with the sentence "The expression SHALL be
>   evaluated", the remaining text in the paragraph should be removed. In
>   its place should be the following: "The expression SHALL be evaluated
>   as if the 'urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:function:any-of' function was
>   applied to each value of the first bag and the whole second bag using
>   the supplied xacml:Function, and the results were combined using
>   'urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:function:and'." Under the example, the
>   text should read "This expression is 'True' because each of the
>   elements of the first bag is greater than at least one of the
>   elements of the second bag."

I'm pretty sure I'm okay with this.

>   any-of-all: The second sentence should read "The expression SHALL be
>   'True' if and only if the supplied predicate is 'True' between each
>   element of the second bag and any element of the first bag." Also,
>   starting on line 4651 with the sentence "The expression SHALL be
>   evaluated", the remaining text in the paragraph should be removed. In
>   its place should be the following: "The expression SHALL be evaluated
>   as if the 'urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:function:any-of' function was
>   applied to each value of the second bag and the whole first bag using
>   the supplied xacml:Function, and the results were combined using
>   'urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:function:and'." Under the example, the
>   text should read "This expression is 'True' because for all of the
>   values in the second bag, there is a value in the first bag that is
>   greater."

I'm pretty sure I'm okay with this, as well.

Cheers,
-Polar