Subject: RE: [xacml] XACML Profile for Hierarchical Resources, WD 8

Daniel, I have responded to your comments in the new Draft 09 as
follows:

On 15 September, Daniel Engovatov writes: RE: [xacml] XACML Profile for Hierarchical Resources, WD 8
 > An example would be
 >   Allow delete any file in directory, but not the directory itself:
 >   GRANT(delete, "/a/b" = resource-ancestors)
 > //remembering that "=" is equivalent to "in-bag" for target matching
 > operations
 >
 > For the case when you are allow to delete directory as well(/a/b in this
 > case) that would be:
 >   GRANT(delete, "/a/b" = resource-ancestors-or-self)
 >
 > In general, when hierarchy has non-heterogeneous resources, ancestors,
 > distinct from ancestors-or-self would be useful to have.

I have added an "resource-ancestor-or-self" AttributeId, and
inserted a description of its use everywhere there is currently a
description of the "resource-ancestor" attribute.  I also defined
URIs to represent support for the "resource-ancestor-or-self"
functionality.

 > The reason I suggested defining ancestors-or-self using the type-union
 > function definition is to avoid duplicating the "self" in cases when the
 > ancestors are defined to include the "self".

I made no changes for this, and also did not add any comments
about "don't compute ancestors by recursively computing parents".
The Profile does not say how to compute the "resource-ancestor"
or "resource-ancestor-or-self" attribute.  The current semantic
description precludes multiple instances of the same normative
identity of any node in a "resource-ancestor" or
"resource-ancestor-or-self" attribute, so I would rather minimize
the changes at this point, and not start introducing
implementation notes.  I think the current semantic description
is sufficient.

 > As far as "parent", I think they are not generally needed, as for system
 > requiring one level deep inheritance that can be handled with an
 > appropriate definition of what "ancestor" is.  So I would also think
 > that "parent-or-self" is redundant.

I did not define a new "resource-parent-or-self" attribute.

Anne