Subject: Re: [xacml] On delegation constraints

Frank,

Yes, this is exactly what I mean!

The use cases I presented are covered if we introduce this "second level
of administrators". Also note that I suggest that this second level
could be "repeated", in the sense that delegation could go on for an
arbitrary number of steps, as long as all administrators in the chain
satisfy the constraints of the second level. What I mean is that the
fact that there are two levels of constraints, does not mean that a
chain of delegation has to be exactly two levels deep. Rather that it
must start with an administrator which satisfies the first constraint
and the remainder of the chain must satisfy the second constraint.

My implementation allows arbitrary levels of constraints, but I doubt
there is need for too many levels in practice. I can imagine use cases
for a third level as well, but I am not sure how realistic those are.

For an example of a three level constraint, we could imagine that an
organisation outsources management to another organisation, which can
then delegate it back to the original organisation is some cases. Maybe
this is a bit superficial?

In any case, I think the second level of constraint will be very useful.
It may also be the case that a general model that allows (but does not
require) the use of an arbitrary number of levels would not hurt, and
may be useful in situations that we cannot think of ourselves.

Best regards, Erik