Subject: [Fwd: [xacml] Re: XACML Policy Model]

Colleagues,

Bill Parducci suggested that this response describing the formal XACML
policy model (not the formal semantics of the language) might be good to
add to our TC FAQ.  What is the consensus of the group?  If we decide to
add it, what corrections or improvements should be made?  Can we go
further and say XACML is basically a 1st order logic language?

Anne H. Anderson               Anne.Anderson@sun.com
Sun Microsystems Labs          1-781-442-0928
Burlington, MA USA

--- Begin Message ---
XACML does not fall neatly into any particular logical category.  At the
most abstract level, very roughly, an XACML policy is a Boolean
combination of predicates, each of which is a functional constraint on
the values of a set of variables being evaluated (or on the results of
other functional constraints and transformation functions).

The standard functional constraints include simple Boolean comparison
functions (X > 5, X == "abc"), higher-order functions (all/at least
one/... values of X Boolean-function-variable all/at least one/...
values in {"abc", "xyz"}, etc.), regular expression matches,
type-specific matches (such as matching X500 Distinguished Names), etc.
  The values used in the constraint functions may themselves be other
variables, results of other constraint functions or of various
arithmetic and transformation functions (X > (5 + Y), toUpperCase(X) ==
"ABC"), etc.  Users are free to define new functional constraints, but
XACML itself does not provide a language for expressing functions: users
must describe/implement the semantics of the function and then reference
it using a unique identifier.  The XACML language itself deals with
evaluating parameters to the function and dealing with the results of
evaluating the function.  The variables used in constraint and other
functions can be pointers into XML documents or discrete named variables.

XACML's "combining algorithms", used to combine results from
sub-policies, can be arbitrarily complex.  The standard ones include
deny-overrides (roughly Boolean AND) and permit-overrides (roughly
Boolean XOR), but users are free to write more complex algorithms that
might take into account parameters associated with each sub-policy, for
example.  The standard combining algorithms are not simple Boolean
operators because we need to handle 4 types of values resulting from
policy evaluation: true and false, but also "Indeterminate" (error), and
"NotApplicable" (the policy or rule does not apply to the supplied set
of variables).

Perhaps others on the list can elaborate or be more specific (or more
correct :-)

Regards,
Anne Anderson