Subject: Use of XACML SAML profile elements

Rich,

I think you will find your problems addressed in the errata documents
for the SAML Profile:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/15447/xacml-2.0-saml-errata-wd.zip

We removed the element definitions in the SAML Errata schemas since, as
you observe, they are not useful.  The Errata specification also says to
use xsi:type to make use of the XACML...Type extensions.

So if you want to use an element with XACMLAuthzDecisionStatementType in
a SAML Response, you could write it as:

<samlp:Response ID=".." Version=".." IssueInstant="..">
  <saml:Issuer>...</saml:Issuer>
  <ds:Signature>...</ds:Signature>
  <samlp:Status>...</samlp:Status>
  <saml:Assertion Version=".." ID=".." IssueInstant="..">
   <saml:Issuer>...</saml:Issuer>
   <ds:Signature>...</ds:Signature>
   <saml:Advice>...</saml:Advice>
   <saml:Statement
        xsi:type="xacml-saml:XACMLAuthzDecisionStatementType">
      <xacml-context:Response>
      </xacml-context>
   </saml:Statement>
   <saml:AttributeStatement>...</saml:AttributeStatement>
  </saml:Assertion>
</samlp:Response>

In the current Working Draft of the SAML 2.0 Profile of XACML **2.1**, I
added a full set of extended SAML elements that could be used with the
new XACML types.  Review by XML and SAML experts, however, has convinced
me that this is the wrong approach, and we should revert to using only
the basic XACML extended types that are in the current Errata document.

Does this help?  In general, please use the current Errata documents for
the SAML profile, not the approved standard versions.

Regards,
Anne Anderson