Subject: RE: [Fwd: Re: [xacml] url/uri-string-concatenate]

Related question:

We do not support declaring base-uri property, do we?

Daniel;

-----Original Message-----
From: seth proctor [mailto:Seth.Proctor@sun.com]
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2006 12:49 PM
To: Ron Williams
Cc: Anne.Anderson@sun.com; OASIS XACML TC

Ron Williams wrote:
> My inclination is to preserve the uri semantics for uri objects. I
think
> the use of string semantics likely to cause more inadvertent errors
than
> one might expect from the more restrictive uri constraints.

The thing is that these aren't URI semantics. They're URL or URN
semantics. It gets complicated pretty quickly trying to figure out how
you stitch things together.

For instance, the default URL scheme might be to always use "/" between
each string. But, what if I have "http://example.com/cgi-bin"; and "foo"
as my two inputs? Now I don't want a "/" used to connect these strings,
but a "?" (etc.) instead. Or, what about "...name=" and "seth". There's
no easy way to handle these cases separately.

So, is the common case that we want these components connected as-is, or

  based on the URI scheme that's being used? I'm not sure I know the
answer, since very few people have given feedback about how this would
get used in policies. I do know that strings are simple to work with,
and will ultimately support a more flexible set of functionality. Based
on this, and the fact that string semantics are what was originally
defined, I think that's the best thing to use for now.

seth