Subject: Re: [xacml] SAML 2.0 Profile of XACML 2.0, Version 2, WD 2, 26 June2006

Hi Anne,

I have two comments on the revised draft:

1. Line# 763-767, Section 4.4 Element <xacml-samlp:XACMLPolicyQuery

I think we should keep the xacml:Target element in the
xacml-samlp:XAMLPOlicyQuery element as an optional element. It will help
a distributed PDP to get necessary target specific policies (i.e. subset
of policies) from a centralized PAP. As you have said in the
specification, it might be difficult to determine target specific
policies for particular scenario. However, we should keep the
specification broad and not disallow using this element, when it may
efficient to use this element.

2. Line# 772-774, Section 4.4 Element <xacml-samlp:XACMLPolicyQuery

It is mentioned in the specification that, "If the
<xacml-samlp:XACMLPolicyQuery> contains no element instances, then the
PAP SHOULD return all policies that are authorized and appropriate for
use  by the requester."

I am thinking a scenario where this kind of query may return a large
number of policies. For example, a PDP wants to get all applicable
policies form a centralized PAP. It might take considerable amount of
time to get those policies. If there is a network outage or any other
dependent service goes down, while policy retrieval is in progress then,
PDP has to start downloading policies from the beginning.

My suggestion is to include xacml:PolicySetIdReference and
xacml:PolicyIdReference elements in the
xacml-saml:XACMLPolicyStatementType element. If the number of requested
polices are large enough (determined by PAP) then it might decide to
send xacml:PolicySetIdReference/xacml:PolicyIdReference instead of
actual xacml:Policy/xacml:PolicySet. Then, PDP can make additional
requests to get them using specific
xacml:PolicySetIdReference/xacml:PolicyIdReference elements.

Regards,
Kamalendu

--
Kamalendu Biswas