Subject: Re: [xacml] Added Issue 41: "evaluate all policies"

I can understand the motivations for this "Request for Enhancement", but
I think it would be a mistake to try to add such an option.  There are
other, clean ways to achieve the desired goals.

Here are my objections:

1) Fundamental

What if a policy writer really, explicitly wants evaluation to terminate
as soon as it is possible to determine the result, and writes a
combining algorithm to that effect?  Would this "must evaluate all
children" option have to be supported for that combining algorithm too?

A combining algorithm specifies how a decision is to be reached,
including the order in which policies are evaluated (if that is
important), and when evaluation may be terminated.  A policy writer
chooses a combining algorithm based on how the policy writer wants the
policy to be evaluated.  If you tell the PDP to do something different
from what the combining algorithm itself says, then it is not using that
combining algorithm and it is not doing what the policy writer intended.

We defined new "ordered-*" versions of the standard combining algorithms
for use where someone really wants to specify the order; we did not add
a new option to existing combining algorithms.  Likewise, if you want to
have a consistent set of policies evaluated for every request, then
define and enforce use in your system of new combining algorithms that
explicitly require evaluation of all children.

2) Implementation

Every single existing combining algorithm would have to be re-written to
support this option, and the value for the option would have to be
conveyed to each invocation of each combining algorithm.  Every new
combining algorithm would also have to be designed to support it.

3) "What if" case reporting the policies used to make the decision

This doesn't answer any question other than "What if I said all
applicable policies and rules must be evaluated?".  If the "What if"
Request Context were actually submitted to the PDP normally, a different
set of policies might be executed based on the actual semantics of the
combining algorithms and based on the implementation's use of
implementation options explicitly allowed by that combining algorithm.

If, for analysis purposes, you want to know all the policies that
potentially apply to a given Request Context, then perhaps a new option
for the SAML XACMLPolicyQuery could be designed that says, return not
just the top-level policies that are applicable to the input
RequestContext, but also prune their descendants to contain only the
policies and rules that are applicable.  This then becomes a new
operation on the policy repository, not an operation performed by the PDP.

4) Consistent set of Obligations

Again, if this is important, write a new combining algorithm that
requires execution of every applicable descendant.  The existing set of
combining algorithms were written with specific semantics designed to
allow performance optimization, and if a policy writer specifies them,
that is what the policy writer intends.  If, in a particular system,
different semantics are desired, then define and use different combining
algorithms in that system.