Subject: Re: [xacml] Added Issue 41: "evaluate all policies"

I have also been thinking about this issue, and I agree with Anne that
the suggested approach doesn't seem right. Her explanation in the quoted
email is good in my opinion. Also, if the use case is to help debug
policies, which is a very important use case btw, then I think sending a
request to the PDP is not interactive enough, even if it would force
evaluation of everything.

What I think is needed is a tool that takes the policy and evaluates it
while allowing some kind of interactive view of the evaluation. For
instance, it should be possible for the user to expand nodes in the
policies, maybe search them. Disabling, adding and editing could be used
to see the effects to the evaluation. I have mentioned "partial
evaluation" before, that is "what happens if the user is in group X"
(and other attributes of the request are not specified).

To me it is very unclear currently how to do these things in a  good
way. I suppose we need some kind of primitive operations and algorithms
that can be used to build tools for solving these use cases. Right now I
have no clear view of what those primitives would be, but some ideas
might be:

* Make the state of processing available to the tools.
* The attributes of the entitites involved in the processing.
* Reverse queries on attributes.
* Partial evaluation, that is, collapse policies in those cases where
attributes are known with certainty and leave other parts unevaluated.

Based on those primitives it would (hopefully :-)) be possible to build
tools to assist administrators. However, because of the problems
highlighted by Anne, I don't think the proposed evaluation procedure
would be a useful primitive.

We also need specific use cases.

But I do think that this is an important aspect of access control
systems and needs attention. We are doing some research on it here at
SICS, but the research is still at early stages.

Also, I am not sure about, even if we would have good ideas, how much of
them should be worked on within the XACML TC. What is the need to
standardize in this area and what are just features in products? From
the XACML standard point of view it would be possible to work on, for
instance, a document which would describe primitives, methods,
algorithms, best practices, ideas, experiences, etc for how to most
efficiently examine and debug XACML policies. Such a document would
certainly be useful for users and implementors of the standard, but what
of it is within the scope of what the TC should be doing? Features in
the evaluation model to support it? Features of APIs to invoke the PDP,
such as the SAML profile? Suggested algorithms? Suggested ways to
display XACML policies? Suggested methods to use the tools?

Note that I am not saying that all or none of this is within the scope.
I don't know myself. But thinking about that perhaps makes it a bit more
clear what we are looking for here.

I suppose the best way to proceed is for everyone interested to think
about clear uses cases and solutions to the use cases and we can see how
it would affect the standard and what is relevant for the TC.