Subject: Re: [xacml] Issue#39:number of policies to return is too large

Hi Polar,

Polar Humenn wrote On 09/06/06 11:03,:

> Well, if you bring that up, it begs the question, "What if the client of
> the PAP (it is the PAP, not the PDP, right?) cannot handle all the
> policies that may be returned?

You are right, it would usually be a PDP that is making the
XACMLPolicyQuery of a PAP to get policies.  Sorry about that.

If the client can't handle all the policies that may be returned, that
seems like a client problem.  If the client actually needs all policies
that match the client's request, then the client simply isn't able to
deal with its own request; the PAP's response was a correct one for the
query that was submitted.

In the case of a PAP that is unable to send all requested policies in a
single XACMLPolicyStatement, there is currently no graceful way to deal
with that.

> How are you going to maintain state between the consecutive requests?
> "Implementation dependent"? Is that fair? Then why have a standard?

The state would be contained in an implementation-dependent way in the
XACMLPolicyContinuation element.  The contents need not be standard
because they will always be used with the same PAP that issued them.

> For functionality, you are probably better off with a separate
> Request/Reply structure that handles the whole problem.
>
> In CORBA systems, a pattern has developed for such things. We call them
> "iterators". (Java people should be familiar with these as well).
> However, we have the luxury of a request/reply protocol with object
> references to maintain state. Without explaining IDL, most people can
> get the idea.
>
>      interface PAP
>      {
>         PolicyIterator getPolicies(PolicyCriteria crt);
>      };
>
>      interface PolicyIterator
>      {
>           long how_many();
>
>           XACMLPolicyList get_next_n(long n)
>                raises (NoneLeft,TooMany);
>
>           void destroy();
>      };

I think what I am doing is similar.  The XACMLPolicyContinuation element
lets the client maintain the state, just as an iterator does.  The PAP
can still be stateless.