Subject: Update: [xacml] XACML and OASIS document and naming guidelines

New version already: it fixes "so long as your formats are weird" :-)

Anne

Anne Anderson - Sun Microsystems wrote On 09/28/06 12:52,:
> [...]
>       differences. The User Guide includes recommended styles for Code
>       examples, Attribute Names, DataType names, Element names, etc.
>       that are useful. If you are creating a brand new document, use
>       these, but if you are updating an earlier draft, use your own
>       discretion so long as your formats are weird.
>

>   Specification Titles
>
> There is no guidance on specification titles other than
>
>   [Specification Title vX.X]
>
> I propose:
>
>     * Core:
>       Example: *eXtensible Access Control Markup Language (XACML) v2.0*
>     * Profile:
>       <Target> profile of XACML <XACML version> v<profile version>
>       Example: *SAML 2.0 profile of XACML 2.0 v2*
>

>   File Names, and "Document Identifier"
>
> Similarly there is not much guidance about document titles or file
> names. The following fit the guidelines, and will let our documents
> follow a consistent naming pattern.
>
> General rough syntax for file names:

> The "Document Identifier" is everything up through <draft version>.
>
> where
>
>     * <topic> is something like "core" or "profile-ws-policy" or
>       "profile-saml-2.0" - enough to identify the topic of the various
>       versions and document types involved
>     * <doctype> is spec or schema. Schema may be further identified as
>       to its sub-topic: schema-policy, schema-context - and its version
>       (v2, v3 - assume otherwise it is v1)
>     * <stage> is wd, cd, os
>     * <draft version> is in sequential order (1,2,...10,11,9999999 :-)
>     * <language> is usually "en" (English)
>     * <format> is pdf, odt, html, etc. - documents must be available in
>       at least one editable format (.odt, .doc), and may also be
>       available in others like .pdf
>

>       Examples:
>
>   Core spec:      *xacml-3.0-core-spec-wd-1-en.odt*
>   Core schema:    *xacml-3.0-core-schema-policy-wd-1.xml*
>
> Profiles should identify the version of what is being profiled if relevant:
>
>   Profile:        *xacml-2.0-profile-ws-policy-1.0-spec-wd-1-en.odt*
>   Profile schema: *xacml-2.0-profile-ws-policy-1.0-schema-wd-1.xml*
>   Profile:        *xacml-2.0-profile-saml-2.0-spec-wd-1-en.odt*
>
> If we update a profile, give it an new version (v2, v3, etc.)
>
>   Profile:        *xacml-2.0-profile-saml-2.0-v2-spec-wd-1-en.odt*
>   Profile schema: *xacml-2.0-profile-saml-2.0-v2-schema-assertion-wd-1.xml*
>

>   "Persistent location"
>
> OASIS administration will put documents under:
>
>    *http://docs.oasis-open.org/xacml/2.0/..*
>    *http://docs.oasis-open.org/xacml/3.0/..*
>

>   URI's
>
> We can continue to use:
>
>   *urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:2.0:...*
>
> Example:
>
>   *urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:2.0:profile:saml2.0:v2:schema:assertion*
>
> They recommend URIs of the following form:
>
>   *http://docs.oasis-open.org/xacml/...*

> Anne Anderson <Anne.Anderson@sun.com> <mailto:Anne.Anderson@Sun.COM>
>
> Last modified: Thu Sep 28 12:49:04 EDT 2006

Title: XACML and OASIS Guidelines

XACML and OASIS Guidelines

This is a review of OASIS Document and Naming Guidelines for applicability to XACML specifications, schemas, and names. It is based on the following references:

Reviewer:  Anne Anderson <Anne.Anderson@sun.com>
Version:   1.3

These guidelines apply only to documents to be stored under http://docs.oasis-open.org/..., so do not apply to our Working Drafts, although it will be easier to convert Working Drafts to the required format later if they conform.

[...]

Last modified: Thu Sep 28 12:58:51 EDT 2006